Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Spring has finally sprung

Well kinda, my first tulip bloomed!
There she is in all her glory! This is one of the first times my gardening attempts has been successful. Usually I get it all looking pretty and then kill everything slowly but not this year, this year I am committed! I shall post a better picture when the rest bloom:) On to the next thing, is this not the cutest baby you have ever seen!
He is so funny, after his bath he becomes a crack head who runs around the room crazy fast stopping to roll on the ground snorting uncontrollably but then he calms down and I say "Are you ready to be blow dried?" and he comes frolicking over and sits down so calm and lets me dry him. ( Don't judge me, I don't have human babies yet!)
What dog likes to be blow dried? This one does, and he is sporting his new spring haircut. This is what we did last Sunday as well as went to church and had a nap, gotta love a Sunday nap:) That night I made us a yummy dinner that is so easy and tastes even better when you eat the left overs the next day so I thought I would share it with ya. Its called  WHITE CHICKEN CHILI and I found it on this blog here, and it is definitely a keeper!
Ingredients:  
2 (14.5-ounce) cans white beans
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 medium jalapeno pepper, minced *I like to use 2*
2 medium poblano peppers, chopped* I used one big green chili pepper *
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced * you can also use the pre chopped stuff from the jar*
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 limes, juiced, plus lime wedges, for serving
1 rotisserie chicken, skin removed and meat shredded
1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
Sour cream, for topping
Tortilla chips, coarsely crushed, for topping

Drain and rinse the canned white beans. In a medium bowl, mash half of the beans with a potato masher until chunky. Reserve the beans until needed.

Add the canola oil to a large Dutch oven* I used A large stock pot* and heat it over medium-high heat. Add the peppers, onions, and garlic and saute until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Season the vegetables with salt, and pepper, to taste.

Add the cumin, coriander, and chili powder and continue to saute for 1 more minute to toast the spices. Stir in the chicken stock, and lime juice and bring to a simmer. Add the beans and continue to simmer for 20 more minutes.


After 20 minutes of simmering, taste for seasoning, and adjust if necessary. Stir in the shredded rotisserie chicken and cilantro and simmer until heated through, about 5 more minutes.

Serve the chili in individual bowls topped with a dollop of sour cream, crushed tortilla chips, and lime wedges.* and cheese because lets face it everything is better with cheese!

 thats it! I am sure you could do your own chicken in a crock pot but I am all about the easy and buying one cooked is sooo easy. We ate it the next two nights as well and it just kept tasting better! The fact that I can get 3 dinners out of this recipe also make me love it even more because the less I have to cook the better! So go try it out I promise you wont be disappointed!

1 comment:

  1. Coda is so cute!! I need to make that soup it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete